Sunday, December 19, 2010

Some Reflection

This has been a season of lasts for us.  It kind of sneaked up on me, and I wasn't really expecting it.  I first noticed it when I was asked to be in charge of Emma’s Halloween party. I was rolling out Playdough pumpkins and ghosts for 28 children to play Halloween Playdough Pictionary, just like I do every year, and I realized it was the last party I would plan as a room mother.  Emma will move up to Franklin next year and enter a world where Playdough, birthday cupcakes and room mothers are not quite as welcome as they were in elementary school.  Sniff…. 

After spending the past 14 years planning and attending book fairs, science exhibits, walkathons and art contests, it made me a little sad.  It's strange to be leaving a chunk of my life behind that used to take up so much of my time and energy.  I'll miss it all.  Well, except for being PTA president!  That is a load of work that I’m happy to have in my past!

Last week I noticed these changes even more when I attended Emma's Christmas program and realized that it was my last grade school concert. Every year I look forward to hearing one of my kids sing about "Dashing through the mashed potatoes and the candied yams." That's always been their favorite song at school-- "Christmastime is no time to diet!"  My favorite concert was the year Chris was in 3rd grade and he was chosen to sing a solo in "We Three Kings."  He looked so cute in his costume, and sounded perfect, especially when his voice cracked a little. I'm so glad our video camera was working that year!

Another last event is coming up soon, since it will probably be our last Christmas with all of us together for a while.  Devin will leave on his mission in March, and then by the time he gets home Chris will leave on his mission (and then who knows about Maren and Emma?!).  Maybe when they are all gone Del and I will start a new tradition---Christmas in Cancun!

Things are changing and the Symons family is growing up, whether I like it or not.  And really, I do like it!  I love the fun new things they are involved in as they get older.  Maren just finished up basketball season, and her team took 2nd place in the tournament.  Chris has been learning to play the guitar, and he's getting really good.  Emma had a lead role in her holiday play at the Children's Music Theater last week.  And Devin is learning great construction skills while he gets ready to leave for Tijuana.  This new phase with my kids so grown up is lots of fun!  It's just a little strange, that's all, when in my head they still seem like this:
 Sometimes I miss those little monkeys.  And I'll miss making Playdough pumpkins.

2 comments:

Michelle D. Argyle said...

Aww, such bittersweet emotions! Enjoy every moment, savor the present as well as delight in anticipation of the future. :)

JaNae said...

Bet your time with playdough isn't over yet. Your kids will call asking how to make them for their kids and the circle will continue. Hang in there, so much is yet to come!