Friday, March 25, 2011

Mission update

OK, I know I've been really slow about posting something about Devin's mission, but we have been pretty busy with life, not to mention decompressing from a stressful two weeks before he left! :)
Elder Devin James Symons
Here's the scoop.  
February 27th:  Devin gave a wonderful talk in Sacrament meeting about our duty to our Heavenly Father. It really was good--I'm not just being biased!  Afterward, we had family and friends over for a Mexican fiesta with Chicken Enchiladas, Spanish Rice, and Maren's Famous Taco Salad and an assortment of cookies including Devin's favorite Snickerdoodles.  Mmmm! We had lots of  fun visiting with everybody--it was a perfect day! 
I think Chris is trying to hug Devin in a loving, brotherly manner!
Samee Beck, Mom, Del, Joe Winder, Susan, Tucker, me, Michelle, and Ryan Winder.
Trevor, Jane, Jack, Karen, Rob, Farhana, Joy, and Monte Hibbert
March 8th:  Packing.  Devin spent most of the day packing, and I spent most of the day saying things like "Did you remember to pack deodorant" and "How much shampoo did you pack" so that I wouldn't say things like "I'm really going to miss you" and "Who will help me when I have computer problems, now?" Eventually he got tired of the reminders of what to pack and told me he was following the MTC list, so I didn't remind him about any more things.  The next day I realized I should have kept reminding him.  After packing, we met the Stake President, Ken Bernt at the church and Devin was set apart as a missionary.  It was a really neat experience, and he was given an amazing blessing.  The kids were all there, as well as Mom and Dad and Layla and Liam (they were babysitting). 

March 9th:  Off to the MTC!  We had the kids skip school so they could see him off.  Our first stop was at In-N-Out Burger in Bountiful.  I had just eaten there with Becky the week before and I told them how good the cheesburger was (Animal-style--covered in sauteed mushrooms and onions), and Devin wanted to go there before he left the country.  The boys each ended up eating 3 burgers, fries and a shake (isn't that about 3 days worth of calories for a normal human?---normal meaning not a teenage boy!), and with full stomachs we headed to Provo.  Along the way Devin remembered that he forgot his scriptures! Of all the things for a missionary to forget!  I think he was just trying to ensure that he got a care package right away!  We sent them to him a couple of days later along with some other goodies, and he said it was fun to share some gingersnaps with his companion and roommates.  Sharing!  He's already learning good things in the MTC!

We had heard that you only have 3 minutes at the curb with your missionary to say goodbye, so we went to the Provo Temple across the street and took pictures first.  It was pretty bright, so none of us could keep our eyes open, but it's still nice to have pictures.


When we drove up to the MTC I was amazed at all of the happy, smiling missionaries who were there to direct traffic and help new missionaries with their luggage.  It was a great sight and made me feel much more comfortable leaving Devin there.  Here are the two who met Devin and helped him with his bags.



Since Devin arrived we've had two very short letters, and he is doing great!  He has a Tongan missionary who reminds him of a friend of his from our ward, Pioneer Ofisa, and he is really enjoying the MTC.  He loves the food (I certainly hope the MTC cafeteria is used to feeding bottomless pits), and he is learning lots of Spanish.  He'll be there for another month, and it's exciting to see how much he is growing in such a short time.  The Lord really knows how to prepare these teenage boys and help them become men.

2 comments:

JaNae said...

What an amazing experience! The growth is so shocking. In only a few weeks our boys become men and we get to be invovled by letter, short as they may be.

Becky said...

woo, hoo! so glad to get him out the door-- now try not to wish him back too soon! He will do so well!