We had a very fun Christmas this year and enjoyed all of our old traditions. Each year the kids get new ornaments, and this year they were decorated sugar cookie initials. My idea with this tradition is that when they get married and have a Christmas tree of their own they will get their box of ornaments to decorate their tree. I still have ornaments I made when I was little, and it's so fun to see them on the tree. Some years we have made our ornaments, but most years I am lazy and just buy them.
Every year we get new pajamas on Christmas Eve. This tradition was started so the kids would look cute in their Christmas pictures the next morning. This year Maren asked me if I would make her pajamas, so I decided to make matching pants for each of the girls (me, too!). I had already bought the boys pjs before she asked. Besides, they wouldn't appreciate the work!. Here we are in our cute, matching pjs!
Another tradition is that we do fun stockings! When the boys were small, I made matching stockings that were oversized so they would hold lots of good stuff. Fortunately, I bought and saved enough fabric to make two more when the girls came along. When I was little my stocking was always full of good stuff, and it was my favorite part. Our stockings usually have an orange in the toe, some chocolate, some nuts, other fun candy, a package of socks, and then some little presents. My kids love it because they are allowed to look through their stocking loot as soon as they get up. We started this tradition because we didn't want them to wake us up early. They have to wait for presents until the parents are up, although there have been years when I couldn't wait and woke everybody up! It's not always the kids who are so excited!
Another fun tradition we have is that each year we draw names and go DI Christmas shopping. This is one of my kids favorite parts about Christmas! They love to find something fun for each other at DI, and it's always fun to see what you get on Christmas morning. This year I had Emma's name, and I found her a couple of things for her American Girl doll collection. There was a jewelry box that looks just like a miniature dresser and an old cosmetics case to keep the doll clothes in. Milly loved the case! Later, Emma watched an episode of Bewitched that she got for Christmas, and she saw that Samantha has the exact cosmetics case in one show. Same color and everything! She was very excited because she loves Bewitched and has been begging for the seasons on DVD.
The kids got another previously owned gift this year, but there were definitely no complaints. They finally got a Wii! Santa found a great package deal on Craig's list and made everyone very happy!
The presents are fun, but I love having our traditions most of all. It's what they'll remember most.

1 comment:
You're so good. My kids have asked what traditions they are going to have to pass on to their kids. I say "Going to Colorado of course!"
Post a Comment