Sunday, October 26, 2014

Like Mother, Like Daughters

It has been so fun having my daughters grow up and share my hobbies and interests. For years, I've coerced Del into watching period dramas with me, and although he was a good sport about it, it was obvious that he didn't share my love for them.  Last summer, the girls and I had a marathon where we watched every version I own of every Jane Austen movie, plus North and South, Jane Eyre, Anne of Green Gables, and lots of other great ones. We had so much fun!  Ever since then they've been hooked, especially Emma. 
Today after church, Emma talked me into watching the BBC Pride and Prejudice, and, of course, I was happy to oblige!  Spending a few hours watching Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy is like catching up with old friends.  Emma's always willing to watch something with me and loves to have girl nights.
Maren shares my love of reading, so it's been fun to introduce her to some of my favorite authors.  She spent a few days last week reading the Vicky Bliss series by Elizabeth Peters, and I've got a stack of other favorites to have her read.  I gave her copies of all of M. M. Kaye's murder mysteries a couple of years ago, and she loved them!  She had the opportunity to visit with the General YW Presidency with a small group of girls, and when one of them asked her what she liked to read, she told them she liked murder mysteries.  One of the other girls had just answered, The Book of Mormon, so she felt a little self-conscious, but the President, Bonnie Oscarson, said she loves them, too.  They got talking about the Flavia de Luce novels and other fun mysteries.  That's my girl!

2 comments:

Trevor Nielson said...

gaaah! the absolute worst writer in literature! if darcy had been worth a damn he would have turned heel and left her in the rear view...

JaNae said...

I introduced some students to Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy over New Year's Eve last year and they loved it too! Fun to have daughters to share those things with.